In this assignment, you will revise and edit the research essay written in Unit 3. In addition to reviewing and weighing previous feedback from your instructor, you will need to make your own decisions about revising and editing the content of your paper. The purpose of the assignment is to make changes to create an improved and significantly changed version of the research essay submitted in Unit 3.
Examine your paper and check the following areas to make informed decisions about what to change to improve your paper:
- Is the introductory paragraph effectively written? Does it define the issue and state an arguable thesis statement?
- Are main points in support of thesis statement organized logically in the essay?
- Does the supporting reasoning you provide relate logically to the main point stated in each paragraph? Are any ideas unrelated and need to be modified or deleted?
- Are paragraphs developed effectively with relevant and current evidence from credible sources? Which paragraphs need more support?
- Are opposing viewpoints addressed and counter-argued logically? Are there any opposing viewpoints you have not considered but should include in your essay?
- Are there paragraphs where you need to add transition words to improve coherence?
- Is the concluding paragraph effectively written? Does it summarize key points and restate the thesis?
- Have you used sources appropriately? Check your essay for use of sources: appropriate paraphrasing, and formatting of direct quotations.
- Have you used APA correctly? Check for errors in APA in-text citations. Check to make sure in-text citations and reference citations correspond. Check for errors in formatting of reference citations.
- Have you written effective sentences? Examine your sentences for clarity and effectiveness. Rewrite sentences where the meaning is not clear or the sentence structure is wordy or awkward.
- Proofread your paper. Is it free of grammatical and mechanical errors? Correct errors.
Although there is still a prevalent stigma around mental illness, in recent years, not only professionals but society has come to view mental illness as a brain dysfunction. Based on the readings that you have done, answer the following:
- What is a mental illness that is interesting to you?
- Discuss what you think are the best approaches to treatment for the mental illness that you have selected.
- Do you feel that modern-day society has appropriate treatments for people who are mentally ill? Why or why not?
Post your answers to the Discussion Board. Review the posting of at least two students to learn about another theory and disorder. Ask the studentsfor any clarifications necessary.
Be sure to document your references using APA format.
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
Part II coming later next week.
Part III (Not due until Sunday, March 16, 2014):
Unit 5 Individual Project
You have been hired as a consultant by an advertising firm that is developing a series of commercials family-oriented theme park. The commercials will target family members at various life stages. You have decided that understanding Erikson’s theory of psychosocial development will help you with this assignment.
- You will start by describing each stage of Erikson’s theory.
- Include in your description an analysis of a character that best represents each stage of life. The character can be from television show, a movie, or a literary character from a book. You can also use a person that you know in your life such as a friend or relative.
- In each case be sure to explain how each character represents the stage, and how the character resolves conflict.
Your assessment will be used by the advertising firm to help in developing commercials targeting various developmental stages.
Your deliverable to the advertising firm will be a 2-3 page report with your research results. You will submit one Word document with the following information:
- Description of Erickson’s theory – A description of each stage of development using the description in above list. Remember to include a description of a character that represents each stage of development.
Please use the following guidelines for formatting your assignment.
- Margins - set to one inch
- Font - 12pt. Times New Roman, no bold, or underline
- Title - center above the paper, 12 pt. font (Level A Heading), no bold, underline, or italics
- Pagination - every page; consists of a header containing a short title for the paper and page number placed in the upper right corner of the page
- Line Spacing - double space all work including the References Page.
- Point-of-View - third person, objective; limit perspective to research; no personal opinion or narrative
- In-text citations - must conform to APA requirements
- References list
- - must conform to APA requirements
Be sure to document your references using APA format
|Problem Statement Guidelines:
To ensure that the problem statement is well grounded, answer:
- Who? (Organization name?)
- Where? (Where is the organization for the study?)
- When? (When did the problem start and how long has the problem existed? Use data; be exact.)
- How? (How do you know that this is a problem? How can you measure or quantify this problem?)
- Why? (Why is this a problem? Why should we care? Why is this relevant and worthy of study?)
- What? (What is the real world problem to be addressed? What is the management question? What is the research question?)
- For whom? (For whom is this a problem? Identify the stakeholder groups on whom it has an impact.)
Example: There is an employee morale issue within the [Who] ACME Corporation [Where] located in the Southwestern states of NV and NM of the United States. [When] From October 2008 to March 2009, the voluntary employee turnover rate increased from 10% to 35% (citation). This is problem [Why] because the cost of turnover within the light manufacturing industry is $100, 000.00 per employee (citation).
At this point, stop to: reflect, analyze, critique.
Is the real problem simply the turnover rate or the impact that the cost of turnover may have on ACME?
How do you know this is a problem? [Anchor statistic]
Once you are confident that you have identified the problem and not a symptom of the problem, proceed to complete the problem statement by addressing the purpose or intent of the practical research study.
According to 2008 Acme Survey, the cost of turnover to the ACME Company is $250,000.00 per year, an amount that is no longer sustainable to the company. As a result, the purpose of this business research will be to study the impacts that the cost of turnover may have on the ACME company, as this will impact the year-end profit and loss reports. Further, this business research study will present options to resolve employee turnover and costs associated with recommended options.
Complete the Problem Statement Worksheet by following these steps:
- Use the Wallace Group problem facts that you identified above to anchor your problem.
- Explore professional journals and select current research articles published within the last five (5) years that are relevant to your management dilemma. The research articles need not be specifically about the Wallace Group, but are relevant to the topical problem at Wallace
- Use credible sources to support the information in the business problem statement that you develop.
Next, determine whether your problem statement would require either a qualitative or quantitative research approach to investigate the problem. Refer back to the lecture, if needed, for clarification on the two approaches. Provide two credible sources that substantiate your research approach decision.
Finally, develop a paper synthesizing the information for the reader. Include the following:
1. An introductory paragraph that describes what the reader will find in the paper
2. The problem statement with substantiated citations (the manager’s dilemma)
3. The research approach decision and why that research approach is appropriate based on the problem statement
4. A summary paragraph highlighting the major points of the paper; no new ideas or concepts should be introduced in the summary
case study in chapter 11, Issues and Ethics in the Helping Profession, all of which are concerned with a family or couples issue.
Write a 500-to 750-word paper identifying the ethical issue or issues.
Describe the ethical issues that confront you, as the caseworker.
Describe how you are going to help resolve these issues while maintaining ethical standards.
Cite the principle(s) or core areasyou are applying from the AAMFT Code of Ethics.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.